- Cranberry Raspberry Punch a.k.a. Bug Juice: Serve up this sweet punch to attract all of the little bugs at the party.
- Sparkling Homemade Lemonade a.k.a. Wormy Ice Pops: Fill an ice pop mold with lemonade. Drop a gummy worm into each, and then freeze. This can also work well in an ice cube tray to have floating in the Bug Juice.
- Ants on a Log: Spread cream cheese or peanut butter on a celery stick or pretzel stick then dot raisins on top all in a row.
Ahead of time, tape the sounds of crickets and have it playing as your guests arrive.
Spread out cotton to create spider webs hanging around the house and place fake spiders in the webbing.
Using black construction paper, cut out long strips of paper and fold into accordions, then tape on your favorite colored balloons. For antennae tape on pipe cleaners and gently use markers to make eyes on the balloon.
You can also have your kids cut out bug shapes to tape on the walls from construction paper.
Create a centerpiece with leaves and dirt from outside on a platter and decorate with fake giant bugs.
Each guest gets a pair of black plastic sunglasses; supply them with construction paper, pipe cleaners, goggle eyes and glue. Have each guest create his or her own creepy bug eyes to take home after the glue dries.
Create a big drawing of the main body of a bug, be sure to make a hole for the bug's face. Have guests, in groups of three, line up behind the bug extending their arms to the side to form six bug legs. Let guests take turns to have a Polaroid taken. Guests can take pictures home at the end of the festivities.
Bobbing for Bugs
Fill a bucket with water and add green food coloring. Cut out holes in apples and squeeze in gummy worms. Have each guest take a turn bobbing for bugs and apples.
Bug Spray Game
Fill an empty spray bottle with water; label it saying "BUG SPRAY". The birthday person starts off as the first exterminator. They take the bottle to chase after all the other "bugs" in the party. If you get sprayed, you have to wriggle around then fall to the ground where you are. The last person to get sprayed is the next exterminator!
Bugs in the Basement
Prior to the party, hide fake bugs throughout the basement (or other large room that you can darken). Then send the kids down to basement in pairs with flashlights for 3 minutes each to find the bugs in the dark! The team with the most bugs wins. (Parents, make sure basements are clear of any dangerous objects other than the bugs of course!)
- Butterfly Nets: fill nets with candy, stickers, erasers or anything buggy!
- Jars with Lids: Cut out holes in the lids and fill the jars with mint leaves, gummy worms and rock candy.
- Bug Tattoos
- Don't forget to take home your new bug eyes!
Not all activities or party ideas are recommended for all ages. For the safety of all in attendance, no party should be held without adult supervision.
Click on any item below to download the themed accessory. You can then print and use them to help make your event a success!
back to holidays, parties & gifts