Apple Strudel Phyllo Purses
Apples and cinnamon sugar in a crispy crust taste like old-fashioned apple strudel--low in fat!
- 1/4 cup - Domino® Light Brown Sugar or Domino® Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup - cherries or cranberries, dried, or raisins
- 2 tbsp. - walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. - cinnamon
- 2 - medium apples, Granny Smith, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 8 - sheets phyllo dough (14"x18")
- 4 tsp. - butter, melted
- 2 tsp. - Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 tsp. - cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Combine brown sugar, dried cherries, walnuts and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add apple and stir to evenly coat apples with sugar. Work with one sheet of phyllo at a time and keep remaining sheets covered with a damp paper towel or plastic wrap. Fold a sheet of phyllo cross-wise and lengthwise into quarters. Scoop one-fourth of apple mixture onto center of folded phyllo. Bring corners and sides of phyllo up into a bundle; pinch tightly and slightly twist at center to hold closed. Place bundle on prepared pan. Immediately brush phyllo with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle over buttered tops. Repeat with remaining seven sheets of phyllo and apple mixture. Bake 15-17 minutes or until phyllo is browned and apple juices begin to sizzle.
Makes 8 servings.