Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce
This week's featured recipe comes from Mel of Dayton, OH.
- 6 slices - white or whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons - butter or margarine, melted
- 4 - eggs
- 2 cups - milk
- 3/4 cup - Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon - vanilla
- 1 teaspoon - cinnamon
- 1/4 cup - Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon - cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon - grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup - water
- 1 tablespoon - lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons - butter or margarine
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Pull apart bread into small pieces. Place in an 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle with melted butter and toss to coat well.
In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon and mix well. Pour the egg mixture over bread pieces. Using a fork, gently push down bread until it is covered and absorbing the egg mixture.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until center is nearly set. Cool slightly. Serve warm with Lemon Sauce.
Lemon Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and grated lemon peel. Stir in water and lemon juice and stir to dissolve cornstarch. Cook over medium heat, until thickened and bubbly; cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Serve warm.
Makes 6-8 servings.