Dried Cherry Scones
- 2 1/4 cups - cake flour
- 1 tablespoon - baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon - salt
- 1/2 teaspoon - baking soda
- 6 tablespoons - cold butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup - heavy cream, divided
- 1 - egg
- 3 tablespoons - firmly packed Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon - vanilla
- 1 teaspoon - grated orange rind
- 3/4 cup - dried tart cherries, coarsely chopped
- Domino® Granulated Sugar
- Orange Glaze, optional (recipe follows)
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In large mixing bowl, combine cake flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
In another large mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup heavy cream, egg, brown sugar, vanilla, grated orange rind and cherries. Add to flour mixture, and use a fork to combine. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough slightly and pat into a 3/4-inch thick round. Cut into 8 wedges.
Place wedges on ungreased baking sheet and brush with remaining heavy cream. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Makes 8 scones.
Orange Glaze: In small mixing bowl, stir together 1 cup sifted Domino® Confectioners Sugar, 1 tablespoon orange juice and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in enough additional orange juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make drizzling consistency.
Serve these scones warm, with or without the orange glaze.