Mini Apple Pies
- 6 - Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and coarsely chopped (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon - lemon juice
- 1/2 cup – Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon - all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon – cinnamon
- 1 - Domino® Flaky Pie Pastry-Double Crust recipe
- 1 tablespoon - cold butter cut into 4 pieces
- Cinnamon Sugar – 1 tablespoon Domino® Granulated Sugar + 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon (garnish)
- Assorted shaped cookie cutters
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large mixing bowl, combine apple pieces and lemon juice. Add sugar, flour and cinnamon. Mix and set aside.
Roll out pie dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8” thickness. Using a paring knife, flip the pie tin upside down on the dough and cut a circle 3 inches larger that the rim of the pan. Fit dough into each pan, crimping edges, and prick bottom with a fork several times.
Fill each pie tin with apple filling, and one piece of butter. Cover using cookie cutouts or strips of flaky pie pastry dough. Be creative and use different shapes to give a unique look to your pie. Top with a sprinkle of Cinnamon Sugar garnish.
Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper or foil and bake in a 375°F oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F and continue to cook for approximately to 20 – 25 minutes, checking every 5 minutes until apples appear tender and crust is golden brown.
Makes four 5-inch pies.
Covering the pie completely with a top crust will increase your baking time. Be sure to vent top crust with slits. Using cookie cutouts will decrease baking time.