Rum Ball Kabobs
These shortbread-based confections are threaded on skewers for a festive presentation!
- 4 cups - all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon - salt
- 2 1/4 cups - (4 1/2 sticks) butter
- 1 1/2 cups - Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- 2 teaspoons - vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups - finely ground Shortbread Cookies, or more as necessary
- 3/4 cup - Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- 1 cup - pistachios, toasted and ground
- 1 cup - peanuts, toasted and ground
- 1/4 cup - light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup - rum or bourbon
- 1/4 cup - Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/8 cup - Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- 1/4 cup - shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/8 cup - cocoa powder
- 1/8 cup - sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup - chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup - chopped peanuts
For chocolate shortbread:
- 1/3 cup - Dutch-process cocoa powder
First, make shortbread. Combine flour and salt in medium bowl; set aside. Cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light in color. Beat in vanilla. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Form dough into flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 325°F. Roll out dough to 1/4" thick and cut into 3" circles. Bake for 17 to 22 minutes. Let cookies cool in pan.
To make chocolate shortbread: Reduce flour to 3 3/4 cup. Add 1/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder.
Next, make kabobs. Combine the ground cookies, confectioners' sugar, pistachios, and peanuts. Stir in the corn syrup and rum and mix well. Add more corn syrup or cookies as necessary to make a mixture that you can form into a ball. Divide the mixture in half and add the cocoa powder to one half. Cover and chill for 30 minutes. Shape into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in toppings, pressing them into balls and using just one topping at a time. To serve, thread cookie balls on bamboo skewers.
Serving size: 48 balls (12 kabobs).
Credit: Adapted with permission from Crazy About Cookies, © 2010 by Krystina Castella. Published by Sterling Publishing Co., New York.