Strawberry Layer Cake
For the Cake:
- 3/4 cups - butter, softened
- 1/2 cup - vegetable oil
- 3 cups - Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 5- large eggs
- 3 cups - cake flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp. - baking soda
- 2 tbsp. - strawberry gelatin (straight from the box)
- 1 cup - frozen sweetened strawberries (thawed and pureed)
- 1/4 cup - milk
- 1 tsp. - vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. - red food coloring
For the Frosting
- 1 1/2 - packages (12 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup - butter, softened
- 6 cups - Dominos® Confectioners Sugar (1 1/2 16oz boxes)
- 2 tsp. - vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F and arrange racks to oven center. Grease three 9-inch round layer pans and line bottoms with rounds of waxed paper or parchment paper. Grease top of paper and sides of pans well, then dust with flour.
Beat butter with oil until smooth and creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until very light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour with baking soda and gelatin powder. Set aside. Blend pureed strawberries with milk, vanilla extract and red food coloring.
Reduce speed on mixer to a low setting and stir flour mixture and milk mixture alternately into the batter, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Divide batter evenly among pans and bake 30-35 minutes or until tops spring back if lightly pressed in their centers. Cool layers in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto racks to completely cool before frosting.
To prepare frosting, beat cream cheese with butter until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar on a medium speed setting until light and fluffy. Blend in vanilla extract and continue beating until frosting has a satiny appearance. Spread generously between layers and over the sides and top of the cake.