Sweet Potato Pecan Cake
- 3 cups - Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup - vegetable oil
- 4 - large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups - all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons - baking soda
- 1 teaspoon - salt
- 1/2 teaspoon - ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon - ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon - ground allspice
- 1 - (16 oz) can mashed sweet potatoes*
- 2/3 cup - water
- 1 teaspoon - vanilla extract
- 1 cup - coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 - (1 lb.) pkg. Domino® Confectioners Sugar (approx. 3 3/4 cups)
- 4 to 6 tablespoons - water or milk
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan and set aside.
Beat sugar and oil at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
In a separate bowl, combine flour and next five ingredients. Gradually add to sugar mixture, beating at low speed just until blended. (Batter will be stiff.)
In a separate bowl, whisk together sweet potatoes, water and vanilla. Stir into batter until blended. Fold in pecans. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a long wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Spoon glaze over top of slightly cooled cake, letting some run down unevenly on the sides.
To Prepare Glaze:
In large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar with water until mixture is desired consistency. Add more water for a thinner consistency and less for a thicker consistency.
* 1 (16 oz.) can candied yams, mashed, or 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin may be substituted.
This delicious cake also makes a wonderful breakfast bread. Serve with cream cheese and orange marmalade.