T Rex Birthday Cake
- 2 1/4 cups - all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon - baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon - salt
- 3/4 cup - butter or margarine, softened
- 1 2/3 cups - Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons - vanilla
- 3 - eggs
- 1 cup - milk
Seven Minute Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups - Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup - water
- 2 - egg whites
- 1 tablespoon - corn syrup
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon - vanilla
- Yellow and blue food coloring
- Assorted candies (optional)
To Prepare Cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line outside of 9-inch springform pan with aluminum foil. Grease and flour pan. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; set aside. In separate bowl, cream butter and sugar; add vanilla. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and milk.
Pour batter into prepared pan; bake 45 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan.
To Shape T Rex:
- Level the top of the cake—place cake on a cake stand with a cake board directly under the cake. While slowly rotating cake stand, move a long serrated knife back and forth across top of cake in a sawing motion, removing the top mound. Keep knife as level as possible while cutting.
- Print out the template.
- Trace the pattern on a piece of parchment paper, then place the parchment on top of the cake, securing the pattern by inserting toothpicks.
- With paring knife, cut into cake about halfway to create an outline on top. Once all pieces are traced, cut all the way to the bottom.
- On 14x14-inch foil-covered cardboard, use icing as "glue" to attach the different cake parts together that form the dinosaur shape.
- Frost (recipe follows) and decorate with candies, as desired.
To Prepare Seven Minute Frosting:
In top of double boiler, combine sugar, water, egg whites, corn syrup and salt. Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Place over boiling water (upper pan should not touch water) and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat, add vanilla, then green food coloring, a dash at a time, until desired color is reached. Beat 2-3 minutes more or until easy to spread.
To prevent crumbling, freeze cake 45 minutes before cutting.