Yum Yum Yam Cookies
This week's featured recipe comes from Therese Neyrey Alberti of Chalmette, Louisiana.
- 1 cup - Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup - shortening
- 1 - egg
- 2 teaspoons - vanilla
- 2 cups - all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon - baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon - baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon - ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon - ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon - ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon - salt
- 1 cup - fresh yams, mashed and cooled
- 1/2 cup - raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup - chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets.
Beat sugar and shortening in large bowl until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture alternately with yams, beating until well mixed. Stir in raisins and nuts.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Bake 12-15 minutes. Cool 2 minutes, then remove from cookie sheet to cooling racks to cool completely.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
Canned yams may be used, however the flavor and texture of the yam is better with fresh. Walnuts and/or pecans work well in this recipe