8 to 10 servings
- 1 1/2 cups (1 pkg.) graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup almonds or walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 3 (8 oz.) packages Neufchatel cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup Domino® Organic Blue Agave Nectar Syrups
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream, room temperature
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare 9-inch springform pan or 10-inch round cake pan, lined with parchment paper. Place two racks in oven; the top for the cheesecake and the bottom for a water bath (2 inches of warm water in a roasting pan).
Combine crumbs, nuts and lemon peel. Stir in butter until thoroughly blended. Press mixture firmly against bottom of prepared pan.
In a medium bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until creamy. Gradually add blue agave syrup; blend. Add vanilla, cornstarch and lemon peel. Blend well. Add egg yolks, one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition. Beat at medium speed for 5 minutes, until smooth. Fold in sour cream. Fold in egg whites. Pour into pan.
Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until cheesecake is lightly browned on the edges. Turn off the oven but leave cheesecake in for 1 hour with door closed. After 1 hour, open door slightly and leave in oven 10 minutes more.
Remove cheesecake and allow to cool in pan for an additional hour. Place in the refrigerator, uncovered, for at least 3 hours. Remove from pan before serving.