All-American Barbecued Ribs with Sauce
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15-oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup Domino® Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 lbs. chuck (back) ribs, cut in slabs of 3 to 4 ribs each (or pork spare ribs)
Place all ingredients, except ribs, in large saucepan. Cover and simmer gently 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Generously brush ribs with sauce; reserve remaining sauce. Cover and let ribs stand 30 to 60 minutes at room temperature. Place ribs on grill rack 4 to 6 inches above medium-hot charcoal or medium-high heat. Cover grill; open vents slightly. After 30 minutes, turn ribs; brush with reserved sauce. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until well browned, brushing once more with sauce. Reheat remaining sauce; serve separately.
For Smoked Ribs: Soak hickory chips or chunks in water (to cover) at least 30 minutes, using 1/4- to 1/2-lb. chips for lightly smoked flavor. Squeeze water from 1 or 2 handfuls of soaked wood; sprinkle on hot coals. Add more chips halfway through cooking.