American Apple Pie in a Jar
8 (4 oz.) or 4 (8 oz.) pies
- 8 (4 oz.) or 4 (8 oz.) Mason jars
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 9 to 10 tablespoons water, cold
- 6 cups cooking apples, cored, peeled and diced into 1/2–1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup Domino® Pourable Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, slivered
- 1 egg white, beaten with water, for glazing crust
- granulated and/or brown sugar, for sprinkling
In a large bowl, whisk flour with salt to blend. Cut shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles very coarse crumbs (about pea size). Add water, two tablespoons at a time, tossing well after each addition. Gather dough into a ball, knead slightly, then wrap in plastic; chill for one hour, or overnight if desired. Roll out to 1/8 inch thickness.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Wash and dry Mason jars; spray insides with non-stick cooking spray. Prepare a rimmed baking pan lined with parchment paper and filled with 1 inch of hot water.
In a large bowl, toss apple slices with lemon juice. Add sugars, spices, vanilla and flour; toss well. Fill each jar to the top with apple filling. Dot apples evenly with slivers of butter.
Cover the top of the filled jars with your choice of pie dough style. For a solid piece, use the lid ring to cut a circle of dough and place on top of the apples. Form a pie crust edge and make slits to vent. For a lattice-style top crust, cut several dough strips and form a lattice pattern on top of the apples.
Brush the dough tops with egg white and sprinkle granulated sugar, brown sugar or both onto the tops of each pie. Place jars at least one inch apart on prepared baking pan.
Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven and place entire pan on a level cooling rack. Serve warm or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Best apples to use for apple pie include Granny Smith, Golden Russet, Macintosh, Ginger Gold and Northern Spy. Try using a combination of apples for a truly personalized apple pie.