Baked Earl Grey Donuts with Lavender Glaze
- 2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup organic whole milk
- 2 Earl Grey tea bags
- 4 tablespoons organic butter
- 2 large organic eggs
- 2/3 cup Domino® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 1/4 cup organic whole milk
- 2 tablespoons culinary grade organic lavender flowers
- 2 1/2 cups Domino® Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon blue natural gel food coloring
- 1/8 teaspoon pink natural gel food coloring
- 1/8 teaspoon red natural gel food coloring
- pink natural gel food coloring
- culinary grade violet flowers
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray donut pans with organic olive oil baking spray; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
Heat milk in a saucepan until warmed. Do not boil. Remove from heat and add Earl Grey tea bags. Steep 10 minutes. Squeeze any liquid from tea bags and discard tea bags. Return saucepan with milk to heat. Add butter and heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat.
In a mixing bowl, mix together eggs and sugar. Slowly add butter and milk mixture; mix until well blended. Add flour mixture and mix until creamy. Do not over mix.
Place batter in a pastry bag and pipe dough into greased donut pan openings. Bake 10 minutes. Cool donuts in the pan 1 minute. Remove from pan and cool completely on a baking rack on top of a baking pan.
Heat milk until warmed. Add lavender flowers and steep 10 minutes. Strain flowers from milk over a medium bowl. Whisk together lavender milk and sugar until very smooth. Add blue food coloring, pink food coloring and red food coloring; mix until lavender color is achieved.
Dip the top of each cooled donut into the bowl of glaze. Place donut onto cooling rack and allow excess glaze to drip off. For a perfectly glazed donut, dip donut a second time. Allow the glaze to set 5 minutes.
Add more of the food coloring to the remaining glaze. Decorate tops of donuts with the darker glaze, sprinkles and edible flowers. Allow the decorative glaze to set 5 minutes.
Natural coloring and sprinkles are available online or at a candy and cake supply store.
Culinary grade flowers are available online or at a restaurant supply store.