Banana Chiffon Cake
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups Domino® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar or Domino® Granulated Sugar, divided, with 1/4 cup reserved
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (3 to 4) ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Preheat oven to 300°F. Prepare ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
Sift together flour, 1 1/4 cups sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt in large mixing bowl. Make well in center of flour mixture. Add oil, 5 egg yolks, water, vanilla and bananas. Beat thoroughly until batter is smooth.
In a large mixing bowl, beat 4 egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and continue beating on high until stiff peaks form, but egg whites are not dry. Gradually fold batter into beaten egg whites, turning mixture over lightly from bottom with rubber spatula until well blended. Do not stir or overmix. Pour into tube pan.
Bake 60 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking an additional 15 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Invert pan on funnel or suspend over cooling rack; cool thoroughly. Remove cake from pan by running a sharp, thin-bladed knife around sides of pan with one long steady stroke. Tap pan sharply until cake comes free.