Buttermilk Cherry Muffins
- 1 cup - dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup - buttermilk
- 1 3/4 cups - all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons - baking powder
- 1 teaspoon - baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon - salt
- 8 tablespoons - butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup - Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 2 - eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon - almond extract
- Streusel Topping:
- 1/3 cup - Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup - chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup - flour
- 1/2 teaspoon - cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons - cold butter or margarine
In a medium bowl, combine the cherries and buttermilk and set aside to soak for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 18 medium muffin cups or line with paper baking cups.
In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; whisk lightly to blend. In another bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and almond extract and mix thoroughly.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and spoon in the cherries and buttermilk. Add the butter and sugar mixture. Mix until thoroughly blended, but do not overmix. Fill the prepared muffin cups two-thirds full with batter. Sprinkle with streusel topping.
Bake 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately remove from pan to cooling rack.
Makes 18 muffins.
In a small bowl, combine sugar, chopped almonds, flour and cinnamon. Cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly.
If you don't have any buttermilk on hand, make sour milk by combining 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup. Let stand 5 minutes before using.