Caramelized Plantains (Platanos Maduros)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 plantains, very ripe (black skins)
- 1/4 cup Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse grind sea salt (optional)
- 4 orange slices (optional)
- 1 mint sprig (optional)
Heat coconut oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Use just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
Slice plantains on the bias into 2-inch pieces and sauté, turning often, 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and softened.
Stir in brown sugar. Toss plantains in sugar 5 minutes or until caramelized. Add orange juice and toss until liquid evaporates and sauce is glazed.
Serve these sweet plantains with a sprinkle of sea salt, if desired. Garnish with orange slices and mint, if desired.
These Cuban-style sweet plantains make a tasty side dish that is very complementary with meat or spicy dishes and are cooked with extremely ripe plantains with skin that is almost completely black – not just speckled.