Chocolate-Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
1 quart ice cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- 2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 5 ounces Domino® Organic Blue Agave Nectar Syrups
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened (preferably Dutch processed)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips or finely chopped chocolate
Bring cream to a simmer in medium saucepan over low heat. Add mint leaves; remove from heat, cover, and steep 30 minutes.
Melt chopped chocolate with blue agave syrup in double boiler over low heat; set aside. Place milk in saucepan with cocoa; whisk over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat.
Whisk egg yolks with salt and add 1/4 cup of the warm cocoa milk, whisking constantly. Add another 1/4 cup warm cocoa milk, whisking constantly, and then add warmed egg yolks back into remaining cocoa milk in saucepan. Return to low heat; stir constantly until mixture steams and begins to thicken slightly, as custard.
Strain custard into melted chocolate, and whisk until very smooth. Add steeped cream to mixture and strain once more before chilling thoroughly. Freeze in ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Fold in remaining chocolate chips or chopped chocolate before serving.
Featured by Ellen Jackson of Portland, Oregon.