Chocolate Cupcakes with Nutella® Filling and Milk Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Domino® Demerara Washed Raw Cane Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 ounces (1 1/2 squares) chocolate, bittersweet
- 2 ounces (2 squares) milk chocolate
- 1 1/4 cups Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Nutella® hazelnut spread
- 1 tablespoon Domino® Demerara Washed Raw Cane Sugar (for sprinkling)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt.
In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the buttermilk and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add 1/3 of the cocoa and flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture, mixing until combined. Add 1/2 of the milk; mix well. Alternately add flour mixture and milk; combine well. Pour batter into prepared muffin cups, dividing evenly.
Bake about 15 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool until room temperature.
Melt the chocolates over a double boiler; set aside to cool. With an electric mixer, beat together the confectioners' sugar and milk. Stir in the melted chocolate. Beat in the butter, a small piece at a time, then beat until smooth. If the frosting is too soft to spread, refrigerate until spreadable.
With a paring knife, cut a hole out of the center top of each cupcake, about 1 inch deep and 1 1/4 inches wide. Fill each hole with 1 1/2 teaspoons of Nutella®. Spread frosting on the cupcakes (covering the hole). Sprinkle a little washed raw sugar on top to garnish.
Featured by Chef Emily Luchetti.