Chocolate Layer Cake with Chocolate Meringue Buttercream Frosting
9-inch, 2-layer cake
- 1 1/4 cups Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3 ounces (3 squares) semisweet chocolate, melted
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
In large bowl, beat sugar and shortening until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat into sugar mixture, alternating with water and vanilla. Pour into prepared pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
In top of double boiler over simmering warm water, beat sugar and egg whites; stir constantly until candy thermometer reads 140°F; maintain that temperature for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and beat with hand mixer until stiff and glossy peaks form.
Working very quickly to prevent lumps, beat butter, 1 stick at a time in small pieces, into egg mixture; continue beating 5 minutes longer. When chocolate is about 105°F (lukewarm), stir into buttercream.
Frost cooled cake.