Chocolate Marble Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (2/3 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cups Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 2/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup, light
- 1 cup Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans; set aside.
In small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In large mixer bowl, cream together butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition.
Combine buttermilk and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture with buttermilk, beating well until blended.
In medium bowl, combine cocoa, sugar, baking soda and water. Add 1 cup vanilla batter; stir to combine.
Pour vanilla batter into prepared loaf pans. Spoon chocolate batter on top in dollops. Swirl with spatula or knife to create marbled effect.
Bake 55 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and frost while still warm.
In small saucepan, combine cocoa, water, butter and corn syrup. Stir over medium heat until mixture thickens; remove from heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat until thickened and smooth.
Drizzle glaze over still-warm loaves.
To sour milk, measure 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons vinegar into measuring cup. Add milk to make 1 2/3 cups.