Chocolate Peppermint Bars
4 dozen bars
- 1 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 5 drops red food coloring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup peppermint candy, crushed, divided
- (1.55-oz.) milk chocolate bars
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg, peppermint extract and food coloring. Stir together flour and salt in small bowl; gradually add to sugar mixture, beating until well mixed. Add 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies. Using floured hands, pat into prepared pan.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until firm. While still hot, place chocolate bars over top; let stand several minutes until chocolate melts. Spread to make a frosting.
Sprinkle remaining peppermint candy on top. Cool before serving.
To crush peppermint candies, unwrap and place in plastic bag and seal. Use a rolling pin to crush candy.