Chocolate Valentine Cupcakes
- 2 cups Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
- 3 cups Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- 1/3 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups; set aside.
Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder in large bowl; mix well. Add water, oil and eggs; mix until combined. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes; stir in sour cream. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Combine in large bowl, with mixer at low speed, confectioners' sugar, cocoa, butter, milk and vanilla.
Beat at medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes, until creamy. If desired, add more milk until frosting is spreading consistency.
Use the following for cupcake decorations or let the kids come up with their own creative ideas.
- Candies: Frost and decorate with conversation hearts, candy sprinkle hearts, red and pink coated chocolate candies, or heart-shaped icing decorations.
- Tinted coconut: Place coconut in small plastic bag. Add a few drops of red food coloring and mix until coconut is tinted. Add more food coloring as desired.
- Chocolate filigree hearts: In small saucepan over low heat, melt 1 ounce semisweet chocolate and 1 teaspoon shortening, stirring constantly. Cool slightly. Spoon melted chocolate into a small, heavy plastic bag; snip one corner of bag. Pipe melted chocolate in a heart design onto a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Let stand until firm. Peel away waxed paper.
- Fruit roll-up hearts: Press two red fruit roll-ups together. Use small heart cutters to make cut-outs.
- Glitter hearts: Use a 1-inch cookie cutter and position on frosted cupcake. Fill in heart outline with edible glitter or sprinkles; press lightly into frosting.
Dutch processed cocoa--or European style cocoa--is processed with alkali, producing a darker cocoa with a milder chocolate flavor. It can be found in the baking section of your supermarket.