Classic Pound Cake with Warm Lemon Sauce
8 to 10 servings
- 1 1/4 cups Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind (1 lemon), finely grated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 drop yellow food coloring (optional)
- vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- 8 to 10 mint sprigs, fresh, for garnish
Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and dust with flour.
In a large bowl, beat sugar, butter and extracts until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Beat into sugar mixture until smooth. Spread batter in loaf pan. Cut through batter several times with knife to break up large air bubbles.
Bake 60 to 70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan immediately and cool right side up on rack. Wrap in plastic wrap when completely cooled.
Place sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan; mix well. Pour in boiling water and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat until slightly thickened, whisking constantly, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining ingredients; whisk until smooth and butter is melted. If a deeper color is desired, add yellow food coloring. Set aside; keep warm.
Makes approximately one cup.
To serve, slice pound cake. Top with ice cream and drizzle with warm lemon sauce. Sprinkle with blackberries and garnish with mint sprigs.
The lemon sauce can be made ahead of time. Simply reheat before serving.
Pound cake may sink slightly when it cools; this is normal. If doubling recipe, baking time increases to 65 to 75 minutes.