Classic Strawberry Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 2/3 cups strawberry preserves
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (2 lb.) bag (approx. 7 1/2 cups) Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- fresh strawberries, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper baking cups; set aside.
Mix butter, sugars, eggs and extracts in large mixing bowl until blended. Beat on medium speed, then increase to high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, for 5 minutes.
In separate medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternately with 2 portions of buttermilk, ending with flour mixture. Fill muffin cups 1/2 full.
Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Cool cupcakes completely before filling with strawberry preserves.
Fill a pastry bag fitted with a large open-star tip with strawberry preserves. Insert the tip about 1/2 inch down from the top of the cupcake. Squeeze filling into the center until the cupcake domes slightly. Repeat for all cupcakes.
In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth; add vanilla. With mixer on low, slowly add sugar; mix until frosting is well combined.
Frost the top of each filled cupcake using a pastry bag fitted with a large open-star or circle tip. Garnish with fresh strawberries.
You can substitute 1 cup milk, combined with 1 teaspoon lemon juice, for buttermilk.
To make a cake, pour batter into two greased and lined 8-inch pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until top springs back when touched. Remove from pan; set aside to cool for 15 to 20 minutes. Turn cake pans over on a cooling rack to allow to cool completely.