Coconut Mango Bread Pudding
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can coconut milk
- 1 cup Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 6 cups (about 8 oz.) French or Cuban bread, thinly sliced
- 1 mango, peeled and small diced to make about 1 cup
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 3/4 cup ( 5.5 oz.) mango nectar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Domino® Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (optional)
In a small saucepan, combine coconut milk with brown sugar and butter. Heat over medium heat, stirring until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
Beat heavy cream and eggs together in mixing bowl at high speed 1 minute. Mix in heated mixture on low speed until blended. Stir in coconut and coconut extract.
Press bread into batter, coating pieces on all sides. Gently fold in mango pieces and raisins, if using. Cover bowl and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours to allow the bread to soak up as much of the batter as possible.
When ready to bake, heat oven to 350° F. Butter or use spray oil to coat the bottom and sides of a 2 quart soufflé dish or 9X9-inch square or round baking pan.
Gently turn bread mixture into dish or pan, topping with all the remaining batter. Cover loosely with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes to brown the top and allow custard to set. Serve warm or chilled with Mango-Rum Sauce.
Whisk cornstarch into 1/4 cup of the mango nectar. Heat all ingredients together in small saucepan to boil, stirring. Reduce heat to simmer and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened and slightly reduced. Serve warm.
Makes about 1 cup sauce.