Cut-Out Shortbread Cookies
about 3 dozen cookies
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- Domino® Granulated Sugar for sprinkling
- colored sugar, sprinkles, icing (optional decorations)
In a large bowl, combine butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Gradually add flour until well-blended. Divide dough in half; flatten each into 1-inch thick disks on 2 pieces of plastic wrap (dough will be soft). Wrap; refrigerate several hours until firm.
Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare ungreased cookie sheet.
On a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin, roll 1/2 of the dough at a time to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with floured star-shaped cookie cutters. Gather scraps into a ball. You may need to refrigerate while you repeat rolling and cutting process on second disk of dough.
Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Sprinkle tops lightly with granulated sugar.
Bake 9 to 10 minutes, or until set and lightly browned on the bottoms. Remove baked cookies from oven; cool completely.
Decorate with icing or sprinkles.