Easter Surprise Cupcakes
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk plus 1 tsp lemon juice (or 1 cup buttermilk)
- 1 to 2 (11.4 oz.) bags candy-coated chocolate pieces
- pastel sprinkles
- 2 (1 lb.) packages Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 6 to 8 tablespoons milk
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 30 (two 12-cup plus one 6-cup) medium muffin tins or line with paper baking cups.
Mix butter, sugars, eggs and extracts in large mixing bowl until blended. Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 5 minutes.
In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with 2 portions of milk mixture (buttermilk), ending with flour mixture.
Fill muffin cups 1/2 full. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Cool cupcakes completely.
Using a paring knife, cut out a circular well in the top-middle of each cupcake. Set aside the cut piece. Fill each cupcake center with candy-coated chocolate pieces and sprinkles. Trim away the bottom cake part of the cut piece, leaving only a "cap" of cake to close up the cupcake again. Frost with Buttercream Frosting. Take care to fully cover the top of each cupcake. Decorate with additional sprinkles, as desired.
In large bowl, combine sugar, vanilla, butter and milk. Beat at medium speed 1 to 2 minutes until creamy.
For different frosting colors, divide frosting into separate bowls and mix in a few drops of food coloring to reach desired shade.