Fast Track Gingerbread Cookie Tree
- 1 (1-lb.) box Domino® Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Royal Icing recipe
- assorted candies (for decoration)
- Domino® Confectioners Sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Combine sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer; add molasses. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides with each addition.
In another large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Slowly add dry ingredients to the brown sugar mixture by hand, until a thick dough forms. Divide dough into four parts, wrapping each with plastic wrap.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/3 inch thick.
To make one tree, you will need to cut out the following, according to the Gingerbread Cookie Tree templates: (This will give your tree 8 layers plus one extra for the star.)
- 2 each of the three large size stars, baking time 10 to 12 minutes.
- 2 each of the two smaller size stars, baking time 8 to 10 minutes.
- 1 each of the one-inch star and the stand to secure top star to tree, baking time 6 to 8 minutes.
Place cutouts on baking sheet about 1 inch apart; bake as directed above. Cookies should appear dry and slightly darker brown at the edges when done. Allow to cool completely in pan or on a wire rack.
Prepare the Royal Icing recipe as directed. Pipe a border around each cookie. Stack cookies, on a plate or cake board, alternating the points and placing a small amount of Royal Icing in the center of each cookie to attach the stars to one another.
For the triangle and top star, place star on the front narrow point of the triangle and attach with Royal Icing. Allow to set completely.
Attach base of the triangle to the top cookie, using Royal Icing. You can also insert a toothpick into the base of the triangle and secure it into the tree for extra support.
Using Royal Icing, decorate with sugar candy and dust with confectioners' sugar. Note that Royal Icing will require at least 3 hours to dry before wrapping tree in cellophane.