Fresh Fruit Cup with Champagne Ice
6 to 8 servings
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Granulated Sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 pint ripe strawberries, cleaned, hulled and sliced into rounds
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 kiwis, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons (about 1 lemon) lemon juice, freshly squeezed, divided
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups champagne, dry
- 1/2 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
Mix 3/4 cup sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil until the sugar dissolves, about 1 minute; let cool.
In a large bowl, combine strawberries, orange and kiwis. Add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and mint. Cover and let stand for 2 hours.
In a non-reactive pan, combine the sugar syrup, champagne, orange juice and remaining lemon juice. Cover and let freeze at least 6 hours or overnight.
To serve, scrape the champagne ice with a fork into large crystals. Spoon into wide mouth champagne glasses. Top with prepared fresh fruit and garnish with mint sprigs.