Frosty the Snowman Cake
- 2 cups Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
- 1 Fluffy Meringue or Seven Minute Frosting recipe
- assorted gum drops, red shoestring licorice, 2 chocolate-covered marshmallow cookies, peppermints, marshmallows (for decorating)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease and flour one 8-inch round baking pan and one 9-inch round baking pan. Line with waxed or parchment paper. Grease paper; set aside.
Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl; mix well. Add water, oil and eggs; mix until combined. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes; stir in sour cream. Pour into prepared pans.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
To assemble cake, arrange the 8-inch layer for head of snowman and the 9-inch layer for body on large tray or foil-covered cardboard sized about 18x10 inches.
Frost cake layers with Fluffy Meringue or Seven Minute Frosting and join them together, using frosting as "glue." Use gumdrops for eyes and nose, red shoestring licorice for mouth and muffler and peppermint candies for buttons; place a chocolate-covered cookie on each side of head for earmuffs.
To prepare peppermint hat, line baking sheet with foil and arrange peppermints to resemble hat as shown in photo. Bake at 350°F for 4 to 5 minutes or until mints just begin to melt and stick together. Cool completely.
Place peppermint hat on top of snowman's head. If necessary, place marshmallows under hat to support hat on tray.
Click here for Seven Minute Frosting recipe.