Halloween Candy Corn and Monster Cupcakes
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- orange, yellow, green and purple gel food dye
- 1 Buttercream Frosting or Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe
- 1 Easy Fondant recipe (for eyeballs)
- assorted nonpareils, sprinkles, chocolate chips, etc. (for decorating)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease or line two 12-cupcake pans and one 6-cupcake pan with white liners.
In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a separate bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; add vanilla.
With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, beginning and ending with flour.
Divide batter into four portions. Color each portion individually by adding 1 to 2 drops of orange, yellow, green or purple gel food coloring.
Spoon one slightly rounded tablespoon of each color, either orange/yellow or purple/green, into each cupcake liner, filling halfway.
Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; invert onto cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Frost with buttercream or chocolate buttercream frosting. For a super white frosting, replace butter with vegetable shortening and use clear vanilla extract. For black frosting, make chocolate buttercream recipe and add black gel food dye until you reach desired shade.
To create a ghost, use mini chocolate chips for the eyes and regular size chocolate chip for the mouth.
To create eyeballs, use fondant rolled into balls; decorate as desired.