Homemade Golden Lollipops by blogger Overtime Cook are the perfect way to enhance any party, and they’re easy to make.
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1 ½ cups 1 ½ cups Domino® Golden Sugar
- ½ cup water ½ cup water
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- As needed flaky sea salt, optional, for topping As needed flaky sea salt, optional, for topping
- As needed golden sugar pearls, golden sprinkles or decorations, optional, for topping As needed golden sugar pearls, golden sprinkles or decorations, optional, for topping
Place Domino® Golden Sugar, water, and cream of tartar in a relatively small, lightweight pot. Stir to combine.
Place pot on stove and add a candy thermometer. Cook, without stirring, until the thermometer reaches just under 300F. Note that at will take a few minutes to get there (probably 5-8), but once it reaches about 270F, watch it carefully because it'll go quickly from there. Do not let the sugar get to hot or it will taste burnt.
While sugar mixture is cooking, prepare your workstation. Line the bottom of a baking sheet with parchment paper (you'll need a completely smooth surface). Prepare vanilla extract and a small dish of salt, sugar decorations, or both. Have lollipop sticks handy as well.
Once sugar reaches just under 300F, remove from heat. Wait about a minute for mixture to stop bubbling, then stir in vanilla.
Carefully pour a thin stream of the liquid sugar mixture onto prepared parchment paper. Insert a lollipop stick into the sugar circle, then quickly top with flaky salt and decorations.
Repeat with remaining sugar and sticks. Note that once you pour out the lollipop, you have less than a minute to add the decorations before it start to harden, so work quickly.
If the sugar in the pot hardens before you finish pouring out the mixture, return pot to gentle heat for a minute or two, until softened, then continue forming lollipops till complete.