Irish Soda Bread
- 1/3 cup Domino® Light Brown Sugar or Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- Domino® Confectioners Sugar
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease cookie sheet.
In large bowl, combine sugar, flour, raisins, baking powder, soda, salt and caraway seeds (if desired). Add butter and cut in with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Beat egg slightly and mix with buttermilk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Turn out onto floured board and knead 2 to 3 minutes until smooth (dough will be sticky). Divide dough in half, and shape into two round loaves. Place on cookie sheet. Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
If you wish, dust the loaves with confectioners' sugar after they have cooled slightly.