New Year's Countdown Cake
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups firmly packed Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee or espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee or espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3 3/4 cups (1 lb. pkg.) Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- 12 chocolate wafers
- 1 (1.55 oz.) milk chocolate candy bar
- 1 chocolate-covered espresso bean
Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
Beat egg whites in small bowl until stiff peaks form; set aside. Beat brown sugar, butter and salt until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition; add vanilla.
In small bowl, combine cake flour and baking powder. Gradually add to mixing bowl. In small bowl, dissolve instant coffee or espresso powder in milk. Add to cake batter; blend well. Gently fold in beaten egg whites. Spread evenly into prepared pans.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Invert cake onto cooling racks; cool completely.
In small bowl, dissolve instant coffee or espresso powder in hot water. Combine in large bowl, with mixer at low speed, coffee, confectioners' sugar, butter, cocoa powder and milk. Beat for 1 to 2 minutes, until creamy. If desired, add more milk until frosting is spreading consistency.
Reserve 1/4 cup of frosting. Frost top of one cooled cake layer; top with second cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. To make face of clock, place wafers in a circle around the edge of cake. Place reserved frosting in a pastry bag with a writing tip; write numbers on wafers. Make hands of the clock with chocolate bar, pointing hands at 12 o'clock. Place espresso bean at base of the two hands.
Before cutting hands of clock from chocolate bar, microwave chocolate bar on HIGH for 3 to 5 seconds to soften.