New Year's Countdown Drink
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 2 oranges, zested and juiced
- 2 ounces vodka (premium brand preferred)
- 1 1/2 ounces fresh blood orange juice
- 3/4 ounce prepared orange-infused simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- splash Italian sparkling wine
Bring water to simmer in medium saucepan over high heat. Stir while adding sugar; bring to simmer, but don’t allow solution to boil. Reduce heat. Add orange juice and zest, being careful not to include the white pith; return to a simmer.
Allow to cool, then strain peels and seeds from syrup.
Syrup will keep, refrigerated, for a couple of months.
Combine first 4 ingredients in container. Shake and strain into a champagne flute; top with sparkling wine. Garnish with twist from blood orange.
For a non-alcoholic version, omit the vodka; substitute unflavored soda water (or sparkling water, club soda or seltzer) for sparkling wine.
Featured by Jennifer Philpot, bartender at Waterbar, San Francisco, CA.