Overnight French Toast
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 cup Light or Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 loaf (9 oz.) French bread, cut into 3/4-inch thick slices (about 14 slices)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Confectioners Sugar, sifted, for dusting
In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine butter, sugar and syrup. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and pour into bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish. Arrange bread slices in a single layer on top of brown sugar mixture.
In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon; blend well. Pour egg mixture over bread slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight until most of the liquid is absorbed.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400°F. Uncover the pan and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and dust with sifted confectioner's sugar. Place baking dish under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Also good as a dessert. Serve hot and top with ice cream or flavored whipped cream and fresh fruit or chocolate curls.