Perfect Apple Pie
- prepared pastry for double-crust 9-inch pie
- 3/4 cup Domino® Light Brown Sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2lbs cups apples, cored, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Line a 9-inch pie pan with half the pastry then prick the bottom and sides with a fork.
In a large saucepot, combine brown sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice, and lemon rind. Add apples and toss to coat evenly. Slowly heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, just until sugar dissolves and apples begin to soften. Apples will cook down to about 6 cups.
Turn apple mixture into lined pie plate. Top with remaining pastry, as desired. Trim and flute edges. Make sure there are slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
Bake 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
We left the skins on our beautifully colored apples but apples may be peeled, if desired.