Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
- 1 - (20 oz) can pineapple chunks in juice; reserve juice
- 2/3 cup - Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup - unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 12 - maraschino cherries, halved
- 2 cups - all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups - Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon - baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon - salt
- 1/2 cup - unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 2 - large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup - reserved pineapple juice, plus water
- 1 teaspoon - vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease two 12-cup muffin pans.
Drain pineapple chunks. Reserve 1 cup of juice for batter, adding water, if necessary, to make a full cup. Arrange 2 to 3 pieces of pineapple and a maraschino cherry half to the bottom of each muffin cup.
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and melted butter. Divide mixture evenly over pineapple and cherries in pans.
In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients; beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. In a separate bowl, combine butter, eggs, juice and vanilla, blending well. Add liquid ingredients to dry, beating 2 minutes on medium speed until smooth.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Cool cupcakes in pan 5 to 6 minutes. Place a cookie sheet over top of muffin pan, and invert cupcakes so pineapple and cherries are on top. Cool cupcakes completely before placing in paper cupcake liners.
Yields 24 cupcakes.
For Fruit Topping, instead of pineapple chunks, you can use a can of pineapple rings cut into pieces.