Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups – all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup – cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon – baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- 1 cup – butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 2 cups – Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 5 – eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup – sour cream
- 1/2 cup – milk
- 1/2 teaspoon – white vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons – vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons – red food coloring
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 3/4 cup – butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2 – (8 oz) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
- 2 – (1 lb) pkgs. Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- 2 teaspoons – vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 36 muffin cups with paper baking cups. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
Beat butter and sugar in large mixing bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl with each addition. On low speed, add sour cream, milk, vinegar, vanilla and food coloring. Slowly add in flour mixture, and blend until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when touched. Remove from oven and cool completely in pan. Prepare frosting.
For frosting, beat butter and cream cheese on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add in confectioners’ sugar, and beat until smooth and creamy. Slowly add in vanilla, and continue beating for 1 minute.
To create Red and Blue Stars, take two 3/4 cup portions of the frosting and place in two separate bowls. Add blue and red food coloring to dye each portion of frosting. Place into two zipper-style plastic bags, one for each color, and cut a small hole in one corner of each bag. Carefully squeeze out frosting in a star design on cupcake.