Red, White and Blue Layer Cake
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- red paste food coloring
- blue paste food coloring
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (2 lb.) bag (approx. 7 1/2 cups) Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- blue and red sprinkles
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans and line with parchment paper; set aside.
Mix butter, sugars, eggs and extracts in large mixing bowl until blended. Beat on medium speed, then increase to high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, for 5 minutes.
In separate medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternately with 2 portions of buttermilk, ending with flour mixture.
Pour each half of the cake batter into a separate bowl. Make sure batter is divided as evenly as possible. Add paste food coloring to each bowl of cake batter, red to one and blue to the other, 1/4 teaspoon at a time. Mix until you reach desired color. Be careful not to overmix the cake batter. Pour red batter into one cake pan; blue batter into the other.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until top springs back when touched. Remove from pans, set aside to cool 15 to 20 minutes. Turn cake pans over onto a cooling rack to allow to cool completely.
In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth; add vanilla. Slowly pour in sugar until frosting is well combined.
To assemble, place red layer on cake stand or cake plate, spread on a thin layer of frosting and top with blue cake layer. Completely frost cake and decorate with red and blue sprinkles.
You may substitute 1 cup milk, combined with 1 teaspoon lemon juice, for buttermilk.