Stars and Stripes Cake
- 2 2/3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- 1/2 pint fresh blueberries, cleaned
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, cleaned, hulled, halved
Preheat oven to 375°F. Generously grease and flour 13x9-inch baking pan. Line bottom with waxed or parchment paper; grease paper.
In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; add vanilla. Add flour mixture and milk, alternately to mixing bowl, beginning and ending with flour, mixing on low speed.
Bake in prepared pan for 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; invert onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
Beat together cream and sugar at high speed until soft peaks form.
Spoon 1/2 cup whipped cream into pastry bag fitted with a small star tip. Spread remaining whipped cream over top and sides of cake.
Arrange blueberries in a rectangle in upper left-hand corner of cake. Arrange strawberries lengthwise in rows across cake.
Pipe reserved whipped cream into stars between blueberries. Chill until ready to serve.