- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (12 to 14 oz.) caramels, unwrapped (approx. 25)
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 350°F; set oven rack to middle position. Grease an 8x8x2-inch square baking pan.
In top of double boiler over barely simmering water, melt butter and 1 cup chocolate chips (or microwave uncovered, on MEDIUM, stirring every 20 to 30 seconds after the first minute, until smooth). Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until pale yellow, about 2 minutes. Thoroughly blend in chocolate mixture, flour and vanilla. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake 15 minutes.
Add the remaining cup of chocolate chips to the remaining batter; set aside.
While the brownies are baking, melt the caramels with the cream over low heat. Remove pan from oven; spread caramel-cream mixture over baked brownies. Cover with remaining batter-chocolate mixture. Sprinkle pecans on top.
Return to oven; bake an additional 20 minutes. The brownies will jiggle when removed from the oven; they will firm up when cool. Cool thoroughly.
Cut brownies into squares before serving.