- 1 cup water
- 2 cups Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 to 1 1/2 ounces cranberry juice (not cocktail)
- 1 ounce orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 ounce prepared Vanilla Infused Syrup
- 3 dashes peach bitters
- ice cubes
- splash Italian sparkling wine
- long orange twist or 2 skewered cranberries (for garnish)
- 1 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed (optional for non-alcoholic version)
Bring water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over high heat. Stir while adding sugar; bring to a simmer but don't allow the solution to boil. Reduce heat.
Split vanilla bean down the middle to expose soft, flavorful interior. Add bean to the saucepan; allow to simmer very gently for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Remove bean and transfer liquid to a glass container.
Syrup should keep for a couple of months.
Shake all ingredients but the Italian sparkling wine with ice; strain into a chilled glass. Serve with a splash of wine on top.
Garnish with a long orange twist or two skewered fresh cranberries.
For a non-alcoholic version, leave out the vodka and wine; substitute an ounce of peach nectar or a spoonful of peach puree for the peach bitters.
Shake cranberry juice, orange juice, syrup, peach nectar or puree and 1 ounce fresh lemon juice with ice; strain into a tall glass. Add a splash of unflavored soda water and garnish with an orange twist or skewered cranberries.
Featured by Jennifer Philpot, bartender at Waterbar, San Francisco.
Substitute other flavoring agents, such as chopped, peeled fresh ginger or cinnamon sticks to create other flavors of simple syrup.