Whole Wheat, Fresh Apple Oat Squares
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup oats, old-fashioned rolled
- 1/2 cup Domino® Light Brown Sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, oats and sugars. Using 2 knives or a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Press half of mixture evenly into bottom of prepared pan.
Combine apples, lemon juice and lemon rind; toss lightly to combine. Spoon over crust. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture, pressing gently with fingers.
Bake 45 to 55 minutes, or until top is golden and apples are tender.
When completely cooled, cut into squares.
One small lemon is sufficient for 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.