A classic coconut cream pie with a slight lemony twist. This Lemon Sugar Coconut Cream Pie is made with a buttery sweet coconut crust, layered with homemade vanilla coconut pudding, and topped with a dollop of coconut flaked whipped cream. Finish with a light sprinkle of lemon sugar for a truly delicious coconut cream pie that’s just a touch more special than all the rest.
Domino® Golden Sugar
Domino® Golden Sugar, the less-processed sugar you can use more freely in all your favorite foods. Made from pure cane sugar, it works cup-for-cup just like white sugar, but has a beautiful golden color and a distinct hint of molasses flavor.
For the crust:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon Domino® Golden Sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold salted butter, cubed 6 tablespoons cold salted butter, cubed
For the filling:
- 4 large egg yolks 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 2 (14 ounce) cans full fat coconut milk 2 (14 ounce) cans full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons salted butter 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup cold heavy cream 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 zest of a lemon 1 zest of a lemon
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1 Tablespoon 1 Tablespoon Domino® Golden Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons toasted coconut 2 Tablespoons toasted coconut
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Grease an 8 or 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom or use a standard pie plate.
To make the crust:
In a food processor, pulse the coconut into semi-fine crumbs.
Add the flour, Domino® Golden Sugar, and butter. Pulse until the mix clumps together to form pea-size balls.
Add 3 tablespoons cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together and forms a ball. If the dough feels dry, add 1-2 tablespoons additional water.
Press the dough into the prepared pie plate.
Transfer to the oven and bake 12-14 minutes, until golden.
Meanwhile, make the filling:
In a large pot, whisk together the egg yolks and cornstarch until fully combined.
Add 1/2 cup Domino® Golden Sugar, the coconut milk, and salt.
Set the pot over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
Cook, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens and is creamy and pudding-like, about 8-10 minutes.
Remove from the heat.
Stir in the vanilla, butter, and shredded coconut. Pour into the baked crust.
Cover and chill 3 hours or up to 4 days.
Before serving, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
Combine the lemon zest and 1 tablespoon Domino® Golden Sugar.
Dollop the cream over the pie and sprinkle with lemon sugar and toasted coconut.
Slice, serve and enjoy!