A classic coconut cream pie with a slight lemony twist. This Lemon Sugar Coconut Cream Pie is made with a buttery sweet coconut crust, layered with homemade vanilla coconut pudding, and topped with a dollop of coconut flaked whipped cream. Finish with a light sprinkle of lemon sugar for a truly delicious coconut cream pie that’s just a touch more special than all the rest.
Order Domino® Recipe Ingredients Online
Find out how to purchase the ingredients featured in this recipe in five easy steps. Once you are ready to order, the ingredients are to be available for delivery or pickup at your preferred local grocery retailer.
Meet the Chef: Tieghan Gerard
Tieghan Gerard began cooking at the age of 15, preparing dishes for her five picky brothers, one little sister, and two busy parents in Cleveland, Ohio. As she simmered and sautéed, she discovered her culinary passion and began honing her expert photography skills. Within no time, she put away the cookbooks and developed her own recipes. And in 2012 her blog, Half Baked Harvest, was born as was her millennial authority status in the foodie world.
For the crust:
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon Domino® Golden Sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold salted butter, cubed 6 tablespoons cold salted butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons of cold water 5 tablespoons of cold water
For the filling:
- 4 large egg yolks 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 2 (14 ounce) cans full fat coconut milk 2 (14 ounce) cans full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons salted butter 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup cold heavy cream 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 1 zest of a lemon 1 zest of a lemon
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1 Tablespoon 1 Tablespoon Domino® Golden Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons toasted coconut 2 Tablespoons toasted coconut
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Grease an 8 or 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom or use a standard pie plate.
To make the crust:
In a food processor, pulse the coconut into semi-fine crumbs.
Add the flour, Domino® Golden Sugar, and butter. Pulse until the mix clumps together to form pea-size balls.
Add 3 tablespoons cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together and forms a ball. If the dough feels dry, add 1-2 tablespoons additional water.
Press the dough into the prepared pie plate.
Transfer to the oven and bake 12-14 minutes, until golden.
Meanwhile, make the filling:
In a large pot, whisk together the egg yolks and cornstarch until fully combined.
Add 1/2 cup Domino® Golden Sugar, coconut milk, and salt.
Set the pot over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
Cook, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens and is creamy and pudding-like, about 8-10 minutes.
Remove from the heat.
Stir in the vanilla, butter, and shredded coconut. Pour into the baked crust.
Cover and chill 3 hours or up to 4 days.
Before serving, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
Combine the lemon zest and 1 tablespoon Domino® Golden Sugar.
Dollop the cream over the pie and sprinkle with lemon sugar and toasted coconut.
Slice, serve and enjoy!