This easy American classic will be the hit of your outdoor summer barbecue.
- pastry for double crust 9-inch pie pastry for double crust 9-inch pie
- 2 (1 lb.) cans red, tart, pitted cherries in syrup 2 (1 lb.) cans red, tart, pitted cherries in syrup
- 3/4 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar 3/4 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 egg white 1 egg white
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 9-inch pie pan with half of pastry. Drain cherries; reserve 2/3 cup syrup.
In saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Using whisk, blend reserved syrup into sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and becomes translucent. Add cherries and almond extract. Bring to boil, stirring gently. Spoon filling into pastry-lined pie pan. Dot with butter.
Top with remaining pastry in a lattice pattern. Trim and flute edges.
To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown.