Chocolate thumbprint cookies filled with a vanilla custard and brûléed with Domino® Golden Sugar!
NEW Domino Golden Sugar 3.125 LB Easy Baking Tub
Our new Domino Golden Sugar Easy Baking Tub will make your baking more convenient. Domino Golden Sugar is scoopable directly from the tub which clicks closed for confident resealing and it even has windows to see when the sugar is running low.
Meet the Chef: Cambrea Gordon
Cambrea is the pastry chef, recipe developer and food photographer behind Cambrea Bakes! Here you will find reliable recipes for creative, elevated desserts and savory baked goods. From twists on everyday favorites, to baking tips, how-to videos and more, you can follow along at cambreabakes.com!
To make the batter
- 1 stick Unsalted butter, room temperature 1 stick Unsalted butter, room temperature
- Domino® Dark Brown Sugar 1 cup packed, 1 cup packed, Domino® Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg, room temperature 1 Egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup All-purpose flour 1 1/3 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1/3 cup Cocoa powder 1/3 cup Cocoa powder
- Domino® Golden Sugar for rolling and for final sprinkling top for rolling and for final sprinkling top Domino® Golden Sugar
To make the custard
- 3/4 cup 2% milk 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- pinch Salt pinch Salt
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 Egg yolk 1 Egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla bean paste 1/2 tsp Vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 tbsp Butter 1/2 tbsp Butter
To make the batter
In a stand mixing bowl, cream the butter and Domino® Dark Brown Sugar together with the paddle until just combined. Then with the mixer running on low, add the room temperature egg and vanilla. Mix until completely combined.
Add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder. Mix until the dough comes together, then stop mixing.
On a parchment lined baking tray, use a heaping tablespoon to scoop the dough. Roll each dough scoop in your hands to form balls. Then gently press your thumb into the center to flatten the cookie and create the center for the filling. Repeat until all the dough is scooped.
Pour some of the Domino® Golden Sugar into a small bowl and gently roll each cookie completely in the sugar. Place them back on the baking tray and freeze for 30 minutes, or until solid.
Preheat the oven to 375˚ F. Bake the cookies for 8 minutes, then remove and place on a wire cooling rack. Carefully use your thumb to re-indent the center of the cookies. Allow to cool completely before filling.
To make the custard
In a small pot, add the milk and place it on the stove.
In a small bowl, measure out the flour, salt, and Domino® Golden Sugar. Set aside. Add the egg yolk to another small bowl and also set aside.
Heat the milk over medium low just until it starts to bubble around the edges. Then, add your flour, salt, and Golden Sugar. Whisk to combine. Put it back on the stove and continue heating on medium low just until it starts to bubble, about 2 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat. Gently whisk your egg yolk. While whisking constantly, slowly pour 1/3 of the milk into the yolk to temper the egg. Whisk until it's combined then slowly pour the egg into the pot with the rest of the milk, again stirring constantly.
Place the pot back over the heat and cook just until the edges start to bubble. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool completely before using.
To assemble the cookies: fill a piping bag with the custard. Fill each cookie center and then generously sprinkle with Domino® Golden Sugar. Use a torch to gently melt and caramelize the sugar.
Store in the fridge in an airtight container, remove and let it come to room temperature before serving.