- 3/4 cup milk 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Domino® Light Brown Sugar Domino® Light Brown Sugar 1/4 cup Domino® Light Brown Sugar Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup water ¼ cup water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg, beaten 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour, plus more for dusting 1 cup bread flour, plus more for dusting
- Peanut or vegetable oil, for deep frying (1 to 1/2 gallons, depending on fryer) Peanut or vegetable oil, for deep frying (1 to 1/2 gallons, depending on fryer)
- 1/4 cup shortening 1/4 cup shortening
In a medium saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat with the shortening, sugar, and water to 110 F. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast over. Let yeast bloom for 5 minutes.
Add the egg, salt, and the all-purpose flour. Using the paddle attachment, beat the ingredients on low speed until flour is incorporated; then increase the speed to medium and beat for 1 minute. Scrape the dough off the paddle and add the bread flour.
Change to the dough hook attachment and beat on medium speed until the dough pulls away from the bowl and becomes smooth, about 4-5 minutes. Add up to ¼ cup more bread flour, if necessary, until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Transfer dough to a well-oiled bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm spot (about 80 F., if possible) for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 3/8-inch thick. Cut out dough using a 1 1/2 -inch round cutter. Set on floured baking sheet, spaced 2” apart, cover lightly with a damp tea towel or plastic wrap , and let rise for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Gently place the doughnuts into the oil, 3 to 4 at a time. Cook for 1 minute per side. Continue to turn in the oil until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack placed on top of a sheet pan.
Serve warm with confectioners sugar dusted on top.