This tangy lemon cake with raspberry compote from blogger Stay Sweet NYC will have your friends and family asking for more!
- 5 cups of All-Purpose Flour 5 cups of All-Purpose Flour
- Domino® Golden Sugar 3 cups 3 cups Domino® Golden Sugar
- ½ tbsp + 1/2 tsp Baking Soda ½ tbsp + 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tbsp + 1/2 tsp Baking Powder ½ tbsp + 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp of Salt 2 tsp of Salt
- 4 tbsp lemon zest 4 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cup vegetable oil 2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp lemon juice 6 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 large eggs, room temp 8 large eggs, room temp
Raspberry Compote Filling:
- 4 cups fresh raspberries 4 cups fresh raspberries
- Domino® Golden Sugar 4 tbsp 4 tbsp Domino® Golden Sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp water 4 tbsp water
- 14 egg whites 14 egg whites
- Domino® Golden Sugar 4 cups 4 cups Domino® Golden Sugar
- 6 sticks of unsalted butter 6 sticks of unsalted butter
- 4 tsp of lemon extract 4 tsp of lemon extract
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Mix flour, Domino® Golden Sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and stir. Make sure to remove 1/2 cup to dust with pans with later.
Add in lemon zest. Stir all dry ingredients together until well combined.
Stir in milk, oil, lemon juice, and eggs until well combined. Make sure to not over stir!
Grease 4-6 inch pans or 3-8 inch pans and then utilize the 1 cup of the previously removed flour mixture and dust pans to prevent your cake from sticking to the pan.
Pour batter into pans evenly.
Bake for 40 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. The toothpick should come out with a few moist crumbs attached.
Raspberry Compote Filling:
Add ingredients in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to boil.
Boil for about 5 mins until the mixture begins to thicken. Stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to low and let simmer for an additional 10 mins. As the water from the raspberries boils off and cools, the mixture will start to thicken.
Serve hot or cold!
In a medium pot, bring at least 1 inch of water to a simmer.
Add the 14 egg whites and 4 cups of Domino Golden Sugar into the mixing bowl. Stir with a whisk until incorporated.
Place mixing bowl over the simmering water pot so that there is a tight seal.
Whisk constantly until egg mixture reaches 160F. The sugar should be fully dissolved.
Remove from heat and transfer mixing bowl to stand mixer with a whisk attachment. Whisk on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. The bottom of the bowl should feel at room temp. Important that the bowl is not too warm as it will melt the butter!
Once the meringue is at room temp, switch to paddle attachment and add 1 tbsp of butter at a time at medium speed. Each tbsp should be fully incorporated before adding the next.
Once the butter is fully incorporated, continue beating at medium-high speed until the meringue comes together into a whipped frosting. It should be close to the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
Add in lemon extract and beat until fully incorporated.
To get out air bubbles, run on low speed with the paddle attachment for 10-15 mins.
- Bakers dust their pans with flour to keep them from sticking. :)
- This recipe will fill 4-6 inch pans or 3-8 inch pans.